I’m popping in today with a simple recipe you can batch cook for meal plans and have on hand throughout the week.
Sloppy Joes were always one of my favorite sandwiches growing up. Although honestly, I never had any idea how my mom made them. They may have come from a can for all I know!
In an attempt to change up my normal lunch routine, I created this healthy sloppy joe recipe to toss on top of rice, or to have on a whole wheat bun!
When I initially started throwing ingredients into my pot to make this recipe, Kyle was surprised I wasn’t adding ketchup. That’s because I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible with all of my recipes.
Ketchup is pretty sugary, made with corn syrup and lots of other additives. I also skipped the traditional brown sugar that many sloppy joe recipes call for – and added agave instead!
Healthy Sloppy Joes
Healthy sloppy joes made with whole ingredients and ground turkey
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey (93/7)
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 0.5 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 Tablespoons chili powder
- 0.25 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2.5 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- In a large sauce pan, brown ground turkey over medium heat until completely cooked.
- Stir in all ingredients. Once mixed, heat on low for an additional 5 minutes.
One serving equals 6 Weight Watcher points.
Courses Dinner, Quick Meals
Serving Size 4 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 178.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 22.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.