Almond crusted chicken with lemon zucchini noodles is a delicious dinner dish with a gourmet feel you can prepare in 20 minutes or less!
Before I talk too much about how delicious this recipe is, I need you to mourn with me for a second.
I lost a camera lens in a tragic accident this weekend. 😢
Let me paint this awful picture for you. I had set my camera down on a TV stand. The camera had its strap attached to it. It was draped over a drawer with large drawer handles that has horizontal pegs (that should be banned from all drawers on Earth).
As I went to pick up my camera, I failed to notice the strap as it caught on the drawer handle, propelling it onto my carpet-covered concrete floor. After the clamor, I faintly heard Kyle shout at me into the sunroom, ‘What are you doing out there?!’ I just stared at the floor in utter disbelief of my clumsiness and examined the camera. It seemed fine at first inspection, and a sudden sense of relief washed over me.
Until I realized the outer lens was jammed. And I couldn’t turn it to zoom in and out.
I’m so dramatic.
But seriously, it’s gonna cost a pretty penny to replace if it can’t be fixed. Luckily the camera itself seems to be in working condition. I don’t even know how soon I’ll be able to take my lens into a shop either since I won’t make it during business hours until Saturday. Wah wah.
I guess it’s a good thing a couple weekends ago I shot a healthy backlog of recipes to make up for the time I’m out of commission.
So today, I bring you almond crusted chicken with lemon zucchini noodles that is probably good enough to bring me out of my broken-camera-depressed state. At least temporarily!
Almond Crusted Chicken with Lemon Zucchini Noodles Grocery List
Here is what you need to grab from the store:
- raw almonds
- chicken breast (recipe calls for one large breast)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- a fresh lemon
- zucchini (as much as you want, in all reality)
- garlic salt
I was surprised at how quick this dish was to prepare. You can make this entire dinner ensemble in 20 minutes! You seriously can’t beat that for a healthy meal during the week.
Cooking chicken in a skillet might be the best way to go. I always used to bake it in the oven if we didn’t shred it in a crockpot, but that usually takes 35-40 minutes. I’m also just not a huge fan of baked chicken breast. It’s usually just kinda boring.
In this recipe I sliced the chicken breasts in half, tenderized them before coating in egg and almonds, then threw them (gently placed them) in a skillet for 5 minutes on each side.
BAM! Gourmet chicken done in 10 minutes. Not mad about it.
Don’t try using one of those handheld ones—they just don’t work as well. Use this spiralizer one instead! Since I was going for a chicken Parmesan feel minus the breadcrumbs…and the cheese…and the marinara…I replaced the noodles for something else too. And added fresh lemon because it’s my jam.
I think that’s a great note to end on. Enjoy your dinner tonight, folks!
Almond Crusted Chicken with Lemon Zucchini Noodles
Yield 2 plates
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 - 10 oz chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh lemon
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, process almonds until you have a powder/crumbs. Using a food processor, pulse about 30 seconds until almonds are broken down. Then process on high for another 60 seconds. Using the blender, you can probably process about 2 minutes until almonds are completely broken down.
- Add almonds to a plate. Break the egg onto a second plate, and scramble.
- Place a skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the chicken breast in half by slicing it down the length of it. Using a tenderizer, pound out both sides of each half.
- Take one chicken breast and coat completely in egg. Then, coat each side of the chicken in almonds. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and coat the bottom. Then add both chicken breasts. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then flip.
- While chicken is cooking, chop or spiralize zucchini and carrots. Slice the lemon in half. Cut one half into small slices.
- Once chicken is done, set aside on a plate. Add vegetables to the skillet.
- Squeeze half of the lemon onto the vegetables, and add the garlic salt and pepper. Stir until only slightly cooked down, about 2 minutes. Move noodles to one side of the skillet, and lightly brown the lemon slices on both sides, about 1 minute each side.
- Dress plates with zucchini noodles, then almond crusted chicken. Garnish with lemon slices.
- Remove zucchini noodles from heat onto a plate.
Serving Size 1 plate
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Unsaturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 349 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 48 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Disclaimer: There are Amazon affiliate links for the vegetable spiralizer I used for the recipe in this post. I make a small commission from any purchases made using this link. I appreciate your support! 🙂