In an attempt to eat more green foods, I tried some experiments.
Experiment 1: Creamy Green Veggie Pasta Sauce. Success!
Experiment 2: Out of asparagus, sub in avocado. Also out of pasta… sub in brown rice.
Green is a great experimental color, don’t you think? So many options! Here’s what I went with.
Avocado Rice with Shrimp
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup avocado
- 1 cup spinach
- splash of almond milk (~ one tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 10-15 cooked, shelled, deveined shrimp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute shrimp with minced garlic. Season to taste with pepper.
- To prepare green sauce, blend the Greek yogurt, avocado, spinach, almond milk, basil, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix green sauce with brown rice, heat together in a sauce pan if rice isn’t hot.
- Layer avocado rice with shrimp.
- Garnish with something pretty.
[breakfast] 3 egg white scramble with the last of my asparagus, black beans and spinach. Serve with 2 pieces of wheat toast and Laughing Cow [snacks] lots of cantaloupe lately [lunch] chicken, avocado, and spinach over brown rice (sound familiar? someone needed to go grocery shopping!) [snack] Mission’s Artisan Whole Wheat tortilla with a Laughing cow, red onion, red pepper, and spinach.