Is there anything better than a hot bowl of soup on a freezing cold day?
I should not be complaining since my Wisconsin roots know the true battles that northerners face in the winter months. The bitter cold that stings your skin and freezes your eyelashes. Mounds of snow and below zero wind chill factors…when it hits 28 degrees in Dallas, it doesn’t take me long to remember why I left the Midwest in the first place. 🙂
Anyhoo, on the cold days that start at 28 degrees and reach a high of 45, I love a hot bowl of soup! I’ve pretty much been all about any soup these days, and they’re all made in the handiest kitchen appliance that ever existed—the crockpot.
Most crockpot meals allow you to throw in your ingredients and GO. Go to work, go to school, go to the mall, go to wherever your fancy pants need to go for 8+ hours during the day. Then you come home and BAM. Dinner is served! This soup is not much different. It requires a little potato mashing and a little extra cook time to melt some cheese and meld some flavors. That little bit of extra time keeps you from slaving over the stove and gives you the freedom to do whatever you want until dinnertime! #netflix
Of course, like any other decent recipe, this Crockpot Broccoli Potato Soup recipe uses a lot of vegetables. We’ve got broccoli, carrots, and onion in the mix. And for Mr. Potato’s sake, we’ll go ahead and let him be a vegetable too, so no one starts carb shaming him so early in the New Year. (Even though a potato really is a vegetable and an olive really is a fruit. Did you know that one?) But we also have cheese, so all of you doing Whole 30 will have to come back when you’re ready for dairy again.
Because I know it’s only a matter of time. No one can go without cheese for too long, am I right?Print
Like any other decent recipe, this Crockpot Broccoli Potato Soup recipe uses a lot of vegetables. We’ve got broccoli, carrots, and onion in the mix.
- 4 regular/medium-sized russet potatoes (about 2.5 pounds), washed
- 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped
- 5 carrots, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1 pound cubed ham
- 1.5 cup regular unsweetened almond milk
- Wash and peel potatoes. (I like to leave small pieces of the peel on them.) Dice into ½ inch cubes. Add to crockpot.
- Dice broccoli, carrots and onion and add to crockpot.
- Pour in 2.5 cups chicken broth and seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6–8 hours.
- Use a potato masher to mash up veggies in crockpot. Mash to your desired consistency (I leave mine a little chunkier.)
- Add ham, cheese, almond milk, and last ½ cup of chicken broth. Mix well. (Add more chicken broth is you want a thinner consistency.)
- Cook on low additional hour, or until flavors are cooked in.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: approx. 1¾–2 cups
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 995 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 36 mg