Written while jammin’ to Bad Blood on the train. Best. Song. Ever.
Does anybody NOT like sweet potatoes?
That’s obviously a rhetorical question. It’s nearly impossible, I swear. I always say that any healthy, whole food can be enjoyed by anyone when it’s prepared the right way. And maybe for some…That means smoothering them in taco meat and cheese. 🙂
On a serious note, sweet potatoes are quite possibly one of the best foods on earth. You have to roast them, though. If you do this, I guarantee you’ll go sweet potato-crazy. A little salt, a little olive oil and an oven at 425 degrees is all you need for your own little slice of heaven.
I’ve always roasted sweet potatoes, but typically I cut them into fry shapes and have them as a snack or dinner side. In today’s recipe, they’re cut into chips with my mandolin and roasted to create a tempting pile of nachos. Sweet potatoes certainly don’t disappoint with taco meat made with my homemade taco seasoning, black beans, veggies and cheddar cheese!
I think it’s nearly impossible to make good nachos that are also Paleo. There’s just no such thing as cheese-less nachos. And in our household, there’s no such thing as nachos without beans, either. It’s a good thing we still had a stash of shredded cheddar in our freezer and black beans in the pantry from our pre-Paleo days, or last Saturday evening would have required a trip to the grocery.
Have I talked much about our Paleo habits lately? It’s still pretty much the same. Paleo all week, and one or two non-Paleo items on the weekend. Mostly dictated around the types of recipes I want for the blog. It’s been working really well for us! And our grocery budget. I still find this to be completely bizarre, but I’m not gonna complain about it.
Instead, I’m gonna tell you to grab these ingredients and get cookin’!
Don’t forget to look up the homemade taco seasoning before you get started if you don’t have any on hand.
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12-16 oz. ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced black olives
- 1 cup diced grape tomatoes
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- any other veggies you want
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes ⅛" thick. Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil. Place on a baking pan, and roast for 10 minutes. Flip, and roast another 10 minutes. Broil on high for 2 minutes to get them crispy, slightly longer if needed. Depending on how many you have, you might have to do two shifts of roasting potatoes.
- While roasting sweet potatoes, brown ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Once cooked through and crumbled, add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and ½ cup water. Mix thoroughly and simmer until water is gone. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Blend black beans with ½ cup of water or chicken broth. You may need to add a bit more to get them to blend well into a paste. Place in a saucepan to heat up, then stir in taco seasoning. Simmer on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Once potatoes are done, place them all on a greased roasting pan. Layer with beans, taco meat, veggies and cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.