We live just down the street from Braum’s. I had never hear of Braum’s before I moved to Texas, so it’s okay if you don’t either. I’m gonna fill you in.
They have an amazing selection of hand-scoop ice cream AND soft serve – that you can make a mixes with. Basically a version of a blizzard. And they’re delicious. And sometimes SUPER hard to resist when I could have one in hand and be back on my couch within 5 minutes!
Just thinking about one right now makes me want to hop in my car and cruise on through the drive-up window. But I can’t make a habit of that, otherwise I’d probably have to buy new jeans to go along with my M&M and chocolate soft serve mixes!
I actually need new jeans, too, but I suppose that’s besides the point.
The point is, I need to find some healthier alternatives to the ever addicting candy-loaded soft serve. Shakeology chocolate ice cream is usually the first runner up. Instead of having the same thing every time, I’ve recently switched it up with this blueberry banana walnut ice cream!
I still load it up with my homemade peanut butter as a topping, of course. And even though I put mini chocolate chips into the ice cream, that didn’t stop me from sprinkling a few more on top too!
This healthier soft serve ice cream is best eaten right away out of the food process or blender. It has an extremely creamy consistency that is uber delicious! It’s also pretty much the only reason I buy bananas anymore. I let them get semi-brown, then slice them up into a ziplock bag to freeze. Toss them in the magic bullet for a shake or in the food processor for some soft serve, and we have dessert, people!
There is really only a hint of blueberry taste in this ice cream. I used frozen organic wild blueberries that I picked up from Costco – and they were added pretty much just to give it a beautiful color!
If you wanted to get really crazy, you could add in some actual candy to this delicious creation instead of chocolate chips and walnuts. I’ll let you decide how bold you wanna get!
Blueberry Banana Walnut Ice Cream
- 4 bananas sliced, frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped or in pieces
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- splash cashew or almond milk
- 3 packets of stevia
- In a food processor, add bananas. Process on low, scraping down sides as often as needed. After 5-7 minutes, bananas will start to become creamy.
- Add in blueberries and splash of almond or cashew milk, and begin to process until completely smooth. This took me about 10 minutes total, because the bananas were frozen very hard and some were in larger clumps.
- Toss in walnuts, stevia and chocolate chips. Process on low for 30 seconds or so until mixed evenly.
- Serve immediately!