You guys. I did so much cooking and food photography last weekend. It was so fun! Kyle was out of town and I made an uber long to-do list for myself. Mostly things I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Like vacuum. But also some fun things like cooking delicious recipes and mixing delicious cocktails.
Saturday morning started out at 5:15 AM with a yipping dog wanting to go outside, so I decided to just start my day then. I know. I’m insane. But you don’t even know the half of it, because I decided to get ‘finish painting the bathroom’ checked off my list first. By 6:30 AM I’d had a mug of coffee, the painting project wrapped up and the bathroom cleaned! That’s more productive than any one weeknight I’ve had in a month. Sometimes I don’t even recognize the person I choose to be.
I reserved the rest of the day for pitching things I don’t want anymore, organizing a few shelves, and 153 loads of laundry. And I still had time to make and shoot 6 recipes. SIX! Must have been a rush from all that bulletproof coffee I consumer. #notmad
Today you get my first recipe from the weekend!
Asparagus pesto is a flavorful spread you can use on juuuuust about anything. Chicken, sandwiches, crackers, pasta, rice, quinoa, eggs, tacos… Like, the list is nearly endless. I may or may not have even eaten it on all these things last weekend. And OMG PIZZA. Not sure how I missed that one with our Sunday Pizza tradition. That is for sure a new recipe I will be making next weekend. 😊
This recipe is what you need if you’re ever feeling the urge for extra flavor on your food. Or if you need to jazz up some leftovers. So you better think twice before reaching for that gigantic bottle of sriracha in your pantry. Don’t worry, that’s not a threat. Just a strong suggestion. With a fist shaking in your face.
Lucky for you this recipe takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish, then you have a nice big batch for ALL your eats ALL week long. These days, I’ve been making it with a food processor. But this recipe pre-dates my food processor days, so I’ve made it a time or ten in a magic bullet or blender.
You should also prepare yourself for a whole string of asparagus pesto-featured recipes. Ready, set, go!
- 1 pound of asparagus
- 2 cups spinach
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, diced or 1.5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- Chop your asparagus into 1-1.5 inch pieces. Cook until tender over medium heat in a skillet with the chicken broth, about 8 minutes.
- While cooking asparagus, toast your pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently so they don’t burn.
- Add cooked asparagus and chicken broth, and the rest of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process 3-5 minutes until you reach a smooth, pesto-like consistency.
- Serve on all your favorite foods!
Courses Sauces & Seasoning
Serving Size 1 batch
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 51.3 g
Saturated Fat 5.6 g
Unsaturated Fat 31.3 g
Sodium 64.1 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34.2 g
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 18.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.