I still cannot believe I hadn’t tried curry until about one year ago. Where had this delicious food been my whole life? How did I go 30 years without even wanting to try this, or actually even knowing what it was?
I suppose it was either hiding in Thai restaurants that were squeezed between Chipotle, Taco Bell and Jimmy Johns (shout out to those college years) or lost in a slew of dusty cook books I never opened. Actually, I think the only cook books I had until recently were made by my family, and we are from German heritage, so there were def not any curry recipes in those books.
In any case, as I entered my 30s, I welcomed new foods with open arms. And curry is one that is never going away. Ever. In fact, it’s become a dinner staple in our home because it’s so damn easy to whip together last minute. AND my toddler eats it.
We never get rid of healthy recipes that the toddler eats. That is definitely another thing we never, ever let go away.
These vegan red curry stir fry noodles are a quick and easy dinner that is low carb with lots of veggies! With prepped ingredients, this meal comes together in about 20 minutes. Variations of this recipe are easy—you may liberally add more of the veggies you like! Or substitute for veggies you don’t.
It is also easy to cook cabbage or other veggies on the side to fit the needs of family members. I cooked the cabbage separately here for picture purposes. And I then found that for our family, the noodle dish is toddler-approved when cooked without cabbage in it!
Although the face Brooklyn makes when trying cabbage is hilarious, it’s not so helpful when encouraging her to eat the rest of the meal.
Vegan Red Curry Stir Fry Noodle Grocery List
Here is what you need to get when you go to the grocery this week!
- rice noodles—see if you can find an 8 oz box, which is the amount this recipe calls for, otherwise you can buy a larger box and just use about half
- avocado oil—you can also use coconut oil or olive oil if that’s what you have on hand
- red bell pepper
- carrots—either pre-shredded or you can shred them fresh at home (I did the latter)
- cabbage—its harder to find this pre-shredded, so I purchase a whole head of cabbage and finely chop it at home
full-fat coconut milk
- red curry paste—I use this one from Thai Kitchen (affiliate link)
- kale (optional)—I basically eat all foods served on kale, but its good with this recipe and adds another veggie to your life
Food Prep Tips
I find it easiest to prep all the veggies needed for this recipe ahead of time so you can make it quickly whichever night you want. BUT this dish also reheats very well if you want to cook and serve later for lunches or dinners!
Vegan Red Curry Stir Fry Noodles
Yield 4 servings
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Prep vegetables as noted in the ingredients list.
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Break up rice noodles from the package, then add to water and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, saute all vegetables in avocado oil, approximately 10 minutes, until fully cooked. (You can cook cabbage in a separate skillet to add in smaller portions if desired.)
- Once cooked, mix in coconut milk and curry paste. Mix in noodles. Stir until completely covered in sauce then serve.
Serving Size 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4.4 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.1 g
Sodium 232.8 mg
Total Carbohydrates 63.7 g
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 8.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.