Spicy black bean soup is a perfect recipe for fall weather food prepping! This healthy vegan soup is made in less than 40 minutes.
I’m so desperate for it to feel like fall. I know it’s technically fall, so I’ve been doing ‘fall things’ even though it’s still upper 80s here in Dallas.
I’ve been wearing my cowboy boots, decorating and cooking with pumpkins, wearing scarves…
And making soup. Chili-like soup. Or maybe we’ll just call it chili. To each their own, eh?
I guess in Texas it wouldn’t be called chili, it’d just be called Spicy Black Bean Soup. We’ve had this discussion about beans in chili before. I guess we just do strange things in Wisconsin. Like drink beer called Spotted Cow and say ‘bubbler.’ I’m okay with it. I bet it makes life interesting for all the Texas folk.
You can tackle this recipe one of two ways…the high sodium way, or the low sodium way.
For high sodium, use canned black beans. But seriously, who wants to go that route? Especially when cooking dried beans is so.damn.simple. It takes about 3.5 hours cook time, but only 3 minutes of actual effort. So, friends, let’s go the low sodium route, shall we? The only thing you need to do is plan when you’re gonna make this deliciously spicy black bean soup, so you can have your beans done ahead of time.
This recipe is one I’ve dug out of my archives and refreshed after a few years. By refreshed, I mean the imagery. I forgot how crazy good this soup is! I also purchased a brand new kitchen gadget to make my life easier—the immersion blender. I used to make soups by pouring half out into a blender, blending it up, then dumping it back in. An immersion blender is handheld to eliminate all the annoying food transfer. It’s easier and cleaner. Well worth the $35!
Don’t forget that this soup pairs well with bread. And cheese. Just to throw a little more Wisconsin at you. 🙂
Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 2 lbs carrots, halved and diced
- 1 red onion, approximately 2.5 cups diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups cooked black beans
- 3 16 oz cans chicken or vegetable broth (for vegan soup), reduced sodium
- 2.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- pepper to taste
- Begin by prepping carrots, red onion and red peppers.
- Place a large kettle over medium heat. Add olive oil, then saute red onion, red pepper and minced garlic.
- Once onions are translucent, add chicken broth and 6 cups of the black beans.
- With an immersion blender*, blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Add last cup of black beans, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are cooked through.
1 serving (approximately 1 cup) is 5 Weight Watcher points.*If you don't have an immersion blender, you can pour approximately half the soup into a blender. Blend until mostly smooth, then add back to the pot.
Serving Size About 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Sodium 1206 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39 g
Dietary Fiber 13 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 12 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Disclaimer: There are Amazon affiliate links for the immersion blender I used for the recipe in this post. I make a small commission from any purchases made using this link. I appreciate your support!