This mouth-watering smoked mozzarella grilled cheese with mushrooms and onions puts a fancy spin on your regular grilled cheese sandwich!
OMG. Pretty sure this is what pregnancy dreams are made of…*insert heart-eyed emoji*
I’ve got a mouth-watering guest post for you today from Emily at Zen and Spice, and I’m super excited about it! I’m officially one week out from my due date today. If I’m still at home, I’m totally going to make this for dinner tonight…
Hi Slim Sanity readers! I’m Emily, and I blog over at Zen & Spice. I’m a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist from Dallas. I believe that eating should be easy and fun—not a hassle! On my blog you’ll find easy recipes using everyday ingredients, intuitive eating and mindfulness advice, and cooking tips. I’m excited to be guest posting for Alysia while she begins her transition into motherhood! So excited for her family!
I’ve been a long-time reader of Slim Sanity—I found Alysia’s blog years ago when I first started mine. We’ve hung out “in real life” a couple times too since we both live here in Dallas. It’s so cool to meet other bloggers, especially when they live in the same city!
Today I’m sharing a recipe for a gourmet grilled cheese. Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? There’s nothing that I love more than cheese (well except maybe my family, fiance and puppy—but it’s a hard toss up). Grilled cheese sandwiches instantly remind me of my childhood.
We’d get home from school, famished of course, and go right to the kitchen. We’d make a grilled cheese with two slices of bread and American cheese. Dipped in ketchup, of course (I learned later in life that dipping in ketchup is apparently not the norm for grilled cheese…).
Today we’re taking the classic grilled cheese sandwich and making it fancy! I added sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions, and used smoked mozzarella instead of American or cheddar.
I found the smoked mozzarella at Trader Joe’s. It’s fresh (versus hard) mozzarella, which melts easily and gets all gooey. Trader Joe’s is one of my favorite places to shop—check out this recent post of a list of all my favorite TJ’s staples!
Are you ready to fancy up your regular grilled cheese? Here’s the recipe!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thin
- Soft butter, for spreading
- Cooking spray
- 2 slices of bread
- 3-4 thick slices smoked fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a medium pan, add the olive oil and mushrooms. Cook until soft. Remove and set aside. Add the butter to the pan and add the onions. Saute for 7-8 minutes on medium until caramelized. Remove and set aside.
- Place the pan back on medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Butter 2 slices of bread and place on butter side down in the pan. Add a generous heaping of mushrooms, onions and sliced mozzarella. Cook until brown and then carefully flip, then cook until the cheese is melty.