This roasted corn and black bean salsa is a super simple and healthy appetizer you can make as a snack or salad topper in 30 minutes or less.
Best. Salsa. Ever.
And lucky me—I got a free recipe testing ticket on this one. Although I did taste test and photograph, I need to give many thanks to my sister for whipping up this recipe at my request!
I will say, this recipe makes a whopping—GIANT—batch of salsa. But it is good on pretty much everything, so a huge batch may not be such a bad thing. Which means you basically need to put this into a meal plan. We ate this on chips, tacos, eggs and stuffed sweet potatoes! But mostly chips. And it was delicious.
We decided this is a good alternative to some of the other dips we’ve been making. Kyle is trying to go Paleo again. And although this isn’t Paleo, it is much closer than the dairy-based dips we usually have (think fresh basil spread or love dip).
That said—just because this dip isn’t Paleo, doesn’t mean it’s not healthy! I mean, it is make completely of veggies and beans. You can’t do much better than that.
Honestly it’s been a while since I’ve made a food without cheese on it. #sorrynotsorry But now that I think about it, this salsa would be amaze-balls inside a tortilla with cheese baked into a taquito. Now you have another idea to make with your salsa!
If you love chips as much as we do, you should try making your own tortilla chips, too! You can control the salt, and cut down on extra fats.
- 5 cups corn (from can, or thawed if frozen)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- ½ medium red onion
- 1 jalapeño (additional for extra spice)
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 3.5 cups black beans (approx. 2 cans)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put corn on baking sheet. Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5–10 minutes. Broil on high for 5–10 minutes to finished roasting if needed.
- While corn is roasting, chop vegetables into small pieces. Mix together in large bowl.
- Add black beans to veggies. Add corn when done roasting.
- Stir in lime juice, cumin and garlic powder.
- Mix well and serve.