This Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes recipe is a super easy food prep idea that you can take to work for lunch, or reheat at home for dinner!
I have NO IDEA why it took me so long to bake a sweet potato.
Maybe because I’ve been so obsessed with roasting them my entire life. Maybe because ‘baked potato’ is associated with ‘bad food.’ But these Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes couldn’t be farther from that fake truth.
You could stuff your taters with whatever your little heart desires, but I chose to go the Mexican topping route. Here’s what I came up with:
- Black beans (made in a crockpot)
- Taco meat (made with homemade seasoning)
- Cheddar cheese (obviously)
- Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
- Red onion (freshly chopped)
- Cilantro (if you like spice)
If you want some lighter substitutions, make crockpot chicken with the homemade seasoning instead, or skip the cheese!
Did I mention yet how easy this is? Baking sweet potatoes takes hardly any effort. It’s mostly just a waiting game, so make sure to start these before you get hangry. Paired with a little bit of additional food prep, you’ll have yourself a tasty meal that you can reheat throughout the week!
Don’t forget your two compartment lunch boxes!
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 pounds 93/7 ground beef
- 4 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or store-bought version, used as directed)
- ½ cup water
- Toppings** (as much as desired)
- Cooked black beans (canned or made in a crockpot)
- Chopped red onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place sweet potatoes on a greased baking sheet. Stab with a fork 4-5 times each. Place on baking sheet, and bake about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Potatoes are done when you can pierce them with a fork.
- While potatoes are baking, chop onion, shred cheese or drain black beans from a can if necessary.
- After 45 minutes*, place a skillet over medium heat. Add meat, and brown until completely cooked. Drain any grease, then add water and taco seasoning. Stir together, and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice baked sweet potato down the middle, and stuff with 3 cooked oz of taco meat, and as many toppings as you'd like!
**Suggested serving sizes of toppings: ¼ cup black beans, 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese. Use as many onions or cilantro as you'd like! Nutrition facts figured on average medium sweet potato size of 125 g.