This tasty kale and pepita power salad is made with fresh, crunchy kale, carrots, quinoa, pepitas (pumpkins seeds), an egg and your favorite balsamic vinaigrette dressing!
I know what you might be thinking.
WTF is a pepita?
I thought the same thing the first time I heard it. Kyle and I brought a salad very similar to this one to a friend’s house for dinner. After making the salad, said friend exclaims, ‘I love that you put pepitas in this!’
Um, wut? Pepitas? Oh, you mean pumpkin seeds!
The difference between a ‘pepita’ and ‘pumpkin seed’ is the shell. The seeds you dig out of a pumpkin at Halloween or see being chewed at a baseball diamond are pumpkin seeds, because they have the white shell on them. A pepita is the inner part of the pumpkin seed that you’ll find in the bulk foods section of your grocery store. And they look better on a salad.
Considering the fact that every time I use pumpkin seeds on a salad it turns out with the rest of these ingredients, it felt appropriate to use it’s fancy name as the title. I’ll definitely be eating this kale and pepita power salad for lunch today!
It’s really kinda funny I’ve been eating kale so much lately. Almost every weekday, for a few weeks now. It’s funny because I used to hate it, and I’m pretty sure I even wrote about that on my about page at one time. I used to think it was bitter and disgusting.
Now, I find it super tasty. And I love the crunch you get from it that you don’t get from spinach. You can also mix it up with dressing the night before and not have it be a sad pile of wilty greens. I guess they call it a superfood for a reason!
So, what do you need to make this (not so) fancy kale and pepita power salad?
- Cooked quinoa
- Shredded carrots—Buy them. Don’t shred them yourself. That’s too much work.
- Pepitas aka pumpkin seeds
- An egg—Optional, if you can make this at home. Otherwise it is good without, or subbing in chicken!
- Your favorite brand of store-bought balsamic vinaigrette. I’ve been buying Kraft made with olive oil.
I’m definitely into buying more ‘convenience items’ lately. It is almost absurd to think that store-bought dressing and shredded carrots are what I’m calling convenience items. Long gone are my days of making my own salad dressing. This mama ain’t got time for that!
But I do have time to throw these food prepped ingredients together to make this salad.
- 2-3 stems of kale
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- balsamic vinaigrette to taste (I used 2 tablespoons to figure up nutritional information)
- Set a skillet to medium heat. Spray the pan with non-stick spray, or use a bit of olive oil. Fry egg according to preference.
- Chop the leafy part of the kale away from the stem, then slice it into small pieces.
- Toss kale with carrots and vinaigrette.
- Add quinoa, pepitas and egg to the top!