Pasta was a staple in my house growing up. Since I wasn’t much of a cook back then, I’m not sure I ever actually made the pasta myself. That was a chore I usually left to my sisters if my mom wasn’t home.
It’s kinda sad to think about how helpless I used to be in the kitchen…
Once said pasta was made, I’d usually melt butter while it was still hot, throw in some pesto seasoning, and dig in!
If you can see the picture I’ve painted, a homemade pasta sauce was far out of my reach many years ago. Believe it or not, although I’m sure anyone who has known me longer than 5 years would, I made my first meal without a recipe at the age of 23. This tomato sauce recipe is the first one I ever made up on my own!
Well, it’s almost the same. I’ve tweaked it a little bit. I made it again the other day with some stuffed shells, and realized my taste buds have changed. I haven’t made pasta sauce in a while because we haven’t been eating much pasta. I’ve also been cooking with a lot less salt. Following my old recipe, it was clear that I was always a little heavy on the added sodium.
Here is a lower sodium version of my traditional homemade pasta sauce! Feel free to use it on any pasta you like, including stuffed shells!
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16 oz cans salt-free diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups pureed tomato/tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ground black pepper to taste
- Chop red onion.
- Place a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute red onion and garlic until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Turn down to low heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
1 serving is 2 Weight Watchers points.
Serving Size Approximately 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 488 mg
Total Carbohydrates 17 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This recipe is really quite easy. A great recipe for a beginner, I might say! 🙂 And it’s SO much better than any sauce you would buy in a jar! This tomato sauce is really good with some browned ground turkey or beef added to it. The crushed red pepper gives it a good hint of spiciness. You could add more or less, depending on your taste!