These healthy wild blueberry muffins are made with real ingredients and frozen wild blueberries. At less than 200 calories each, they are perfect for grab-and-go breakfast or snack option!
My style of baking has drastically changed in the last year or so. So has my definition of ‘healthy.’
Well, maybe my definition of healthy hasn’t changed drastically, but the foods I consider healthy is a bit different. Gone are the days of making foods—specifically baked goods—’skinny.’ As in, low fat! NO sugar! Use ALL the substitutes!
There ain’t no substitutions in these healthy wild blueberry muffins. And YES. I still consider them to be healthy.
These are healthy even though they use regular flour. It’s easy to use all whole wheat, or none at all.
These are also made with real butter. YEP. I’ve slowly evolved from trying to bake without any oils at all. And, I’m kinda over baking with coconut oil because it’s a pain the measure out. Plus, I think butter tastes better.
There is also REAL SUGAR in these! Brown sugar to be exact. But there is much LESS sugar in them than many other recipes, or anything else you’d find store-bought—even a boxed wild blueberry muffin mix. I have so many recipes—even this other healthy blueberry muffins recipe (I have a muffin problem)—that use stevia instead of sugar. I’m over it.
I’m kinda sick of villainizing food, especially sugar. We all know too much of it is bad. But even I eat sugar once in a while because I enjoy it.
Since having Brooklyn, I’ve begun to feel the best I ever have. And I haven’t tracked a single calorie. Not a single macro. I’ve had days where I don’t eat any vegetables at all. There are a lot of things I could say about intuitive eating, and balance, and other motivating stuff that other people say better than I do. But I think the point is that I’ve stopped caring so much about what I’m ‘supposed’ to do to be healthy, and have just done what has made me feel the best.
And it has WORKED. For baby weight loss, for my overall health, and for my sanity.
And sometimes, that includes healthy wild blueberry muffins like these, made with real sugar.
Healthy Wild Blueberry Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
- 2 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries (or regular, if you don't have wild)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add all wet ingredients to a separate bowl and stir together completely.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix together.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into greased muffin tin or silicone baking cups.
- Place in oven, and reset temperature to 375.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until cooked through.
Serving Size 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8.4 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Unsaturated Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 36.7 mg
Sodium 261.6 mg
Total Carbohydrates 24.7 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.