So, I have really been craving stuffed shells for some reason. Maybe I was just craving my Greek yogurt spinach dip. I think it was probably the latter… You can really never get enough of that stuff! It’s almost always gone in one sitting. Maybe with help from the hubs.
Either way, I set out to make a healthy stuffed shell recipe. What do you get when you mix cheese and Greek yogurt? Cheesy, delicious, and healthy stuffed shells!
This dish is actually a low carb pasta dish, since most of the meal is the filling. Being made with Greek yogurt, it’s also higher in protein at 5 g per shell.
My next Italian dish might be lasagna, mostly because I want to use this spinach dip in any way possible, and I think it would be a fabulous substitute for ricotta in any lasagna recipe. I don’t think you can really go wrong with Greek yogurt and cheese!
What’s your favorite Italian dish? It’s hard for me to really choose one. Pasta is so delicious. All Italian dishes are pasta, right? 🙂
Food Prep Tip: If you plan to make this during the middle of the week, prep your homemade tomato sauce on Sunday. You would also be able to make the stuffing – it will keep in the fridge for several days. This will save you some time if you’re putting it together after work!
Spinach Stuffed Shells
Yield 20 shells
- 20 large pasta shells
- 9 oz fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, fresh grated
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan, fresh grated
- 1 1/2 cups plain Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ground black pepper and salt to taste
- About 3 cups of tomato sauce (or one batch of tomato sauce recipe linked above)
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of EVOO. Add spinach and garlic. Cook spinach down, but not completely. About 10 minutes or so. Remove from pan, and let cool on a cutting board.
- Place a large pot over high heat. Once boiling, add shells. Cook for approximately 7 minutes, until about halfway cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, then start mixing shell stuffing.
- To mix shell stuffing, chop spinach into small pieces, and add to a bowl. To this bowl, add cheeses and yogurt, mix well. Add seasonings, and mix again.
- Layer the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass pan with your tomato sauce.
- With a spoon, scoop stuffing into shell. Once stuffed, place in pan with sauce. Repeat for 20 noodles. Cover noodles with the remaining sauce, and sprinkle a little mozzarella over the top if desired.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include pasta sauce.
Serving Size 1 shell
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Unsaturated Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 8.8 mg
Sodium 107 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.