This healthy chicken salad with walnuts recipe is made without mayo! It’s perfect for packing lunches during the week or grabbing a quick meal at home.
I have this problem with overestimating how much food to bring to a party.
I made food for a friend’s baby shower last weekend, and decided to take a stab at a new chicken salad recipe – along with bringing a bunch of veggies and my fresh basil spread. The party was at 2 PM, and apparently nobody was really hungry because I came home with nearly all the salad I had made.
Luckily for me, that meant lunch prep was taken care of for the week!
I really like chicken salad but I don’t like many variations that are out there. I don’t like to make anything with mayo or mustard, and I don’t ever mix fruit with savory foods. It’s freaky. Pineapple on pizza? Bleck. Grapes in chicken salad? No way, Jose.
Jose wasn’t too upset with this healthy chicken salad recipe which includes Greek yogurt, celery and carrots. And walnuts! Because I’m obsessed with walnuts lately (I even put them in my peanut butter), and they are the best addition you can ever put in a chicken salad.
I also often feel like a child when I eat chicken salad, because my favorite way to eat it is with crackers. Brings me back to the Lunchable days – without the preservatives and Capri Suns. This week I served myself salad in an adult version on a roll, and also in a healthier version with cucumbers alongside my crackers.
My healthy version is unpictured, though. As you’ve probably heard, Texas has been flooded from 1,523 thunderstorms. It’s been incredibly cloudy and not good for picture taking! My apologies. I promise to get more veggified recipes out to you soon!
Some notes about this recipe:
- You should prepare this crockpot shredded chicken beforehand.
- If you can’t really get on the Greek yogurt train yet, try switching half the yogurt out for real mayo. It will not be as light of a meal as the original version, but it will still be healthy than a full mayo version.
- The chia seeds in this recipe are totally optional – but I like to sneak them into recipes since chia seeds have great health benefits!
Healthy Chicken Salad with Walnuts
- 2 pounds cooked shredded chicken, cooled
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- Finely chop shredded chicken, and add to a large bowl.
- Chop celery into 1/4 inch wide pieces, and add to bowl. Add shredded carrots.
- Finely chop walnuts, and add to chicken.
- Add yogurt, and stir to mix well.
- Once mixed, add in seasonings and chia seeds and stir to mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
I had the strangest craving for cucumbers this week. Actually, I was just craving vegetables in general. I think it had something to do with a bit of Anniversary debauchery over Memorial Day weekend. Did I mentioned Kyle and I just celebrated our one year anniversary? Everyone has said that the first year of marriage is the hardest. I seriously hope that is true – because our first year was a breeze! 🙂
What do you like to take for lunch?