My go-to ingredient when I want to bake is bananas. Actually, when I have bananas that are too brown to eat with peanut butter, they become my go-to ingredient. I seem to put bananas in everything – overnight oats, baked oats, smoothies, muffins… more muffins. With nuts. Bananas and nuts. I’m half-crazy, so this makes sense.
These gooey mixed-nut bars are simple to prep, and make for easy to grab snacks or breakfast options. The base mix can easily be customized if you aren’t like me and choose to skip the double dose of crazy. Instead of nuts you could add:
- cried cranberries
- mini chocolate chips
- sliced apples
Or pretty much anything your heart desires.
Gooey Mixed Nut Bars
- 1.5 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 3/4 cup nuts (I used Planter’s Heart Healthy Mix), chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 packets Stevia
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop nuts on a cutting board into 1/4 to 1/2 size pieces.
- Mash bananas into a bowl. Stir all ingredients, (minus the nuts). Once thoroughly mixed, stir in nuts.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan, Pour in mix.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, and cut into 9 bars.