We had a pretty great weekend, which kicked off with a relaxing Friday night and a delicious experimental dinner cooked and served by Chef Boy-ar-Ehle (aka Kyle). Here’s the awesome recipe he came up with!
We served our chicken with a side of quinoa, and a glass of Frontera Malbec.
The amount of Feta used was a bit of an estimate, since the recipe was made on the fly. Hopefully we can recreate it again soon, because this dish was amazing!
Feta-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Black Bean Puree
- two chicken breasts
- 3/4 cups of Feta cheese crumbles
- 16 oz can of black beans
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the thawed chicken breasts so there is a pocket down the middle. Sear the sides of the chicken breast by cooking on each side in a skillet over medium heat with a swirl of EVOO. Once each side is browned, stuff each chicken breast with 1/4 cup of feta cheese crumbles.
- Place chicken into a baking pan coated in non-stick cooking spray. Season the tops of the chicken with chili powder and black pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, until cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, begin making black bean puree. Add black beans and red pepper to blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth, adding chicken broth to desired consistency. Place pureed mixture into a pan and heat. Add remaining Feta cheese crumbles, red onion, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- When chicken is cooked, served over spinach with black bean puree on top.
We finished off the night watching The Dark Knight. We called it an early bed time, since we were getting up early Saturday morning to go to Fort Worth for the weekend to visit our friend Clint. We had plans to watch The Dark Knight Rises and venture out in Fort Worth for the evening. Here’s a picture recap of the day!
We saw the movie early in the morning, at 9:30 AM. It was still pretty crowded, but we managed to get 5 seats together still (Clint’s dad and brother came with us.) We all enjoyed the movie a lot! I won’t say much about it though, I don’t want to give anything away to those who haven’t seen it. After the movie, we went back to Clint’s apartment to hang out and hit the pool a bit. We brought Barkley with us, Clint and Barkley got some good bonding time….while people watching out the window.
We went out on the town in Fort Worth that night and has a blast. We spent most of the night at Capital Bar, where they had live music and dancing.
Capital Bar has a huge two story outdoor bar. We started off on the second level watching the band, then moved to a table closer to the stage where we enjoyed some more people watching and a little dancing ourselves!
Workout and Breakfast
I was a bit of a crabby pants this morning. My response to Kyle’s ‘Good Morning,’ was ‘It’s not a good morning. It’s just morning.’ Holy case of the Mondays, jeesh! I am now in a better mood after I convinced myself into an at-home workout. The gym just was not sounding very appealing, so I popped in P90X core synergistics. I skipped through only a couple of exercises to save some time, but ended up with a good 50 minutes of work.
Breakfast was a usual egg scramble, with two egg whites, one whole egg, two strips of turkey bacon, and a big handful of spinach.
I got Barkley on a mile long walk this morning, but I’m hoping for another one tonight. I’ve been slacking on his morning walks a little bit, and I think he’s got some pent up energy!
A few notes…
- The recipes pages have been updated. Stop by and take a look!
- I’m working on updating my workout page. I have a strength circuits and treadmill workouts to add, they should be up in a day or two.
- Link ups for Wine of the Week are open until Thursday. Feel free to link up there, or wait to post about your wine until the new link up starts this Friday.
Hope you all have a fabulous Monday!