This crockpot sweet potato bison chili is made in just a couple short steps. The perfect cold weather meal full of delicious veggies!
I am constantly forgetting the ‘rules’ of certain diets and had to Google whether or not sweet potatoes are Paleo. Only because…I have a Paleo category on my blog. How silly is that?
HINT: Sweet potatoes are or aren’t considered Paleo. I suppose it depends on who you are and probably how much you like sweet potatoes.
When it comes to ‘diets’, I play by my own rules. I gave up tracking calories and macros a long time ago. Although I tend to avoid dairy in most situations and I try to focus on mostly plant-based meals, I eat pretty much whatever I want. And then I add a vegetable. 🙂 Life is so much less stressful when I don’t overthink my food.
Speaking of FOOD, let’s talk about this chili for a second. Can I get a show of hands (or Pinterest shares, maybe?) of how many of you like chili? Or better yet, love chili? Would never discriminate against chili? Eat chili all year round, even in a grueling hot Texas summer?
That is me. This crockpot sweet potato bison chili is a super easy recipe that really only takes two steps.
- Brown ground bison.
- Put all ingredients into crockpot and cook.
If you’ve made chili a time or two, you also know that the longer it sits, the better it tastes. This one isn’t too different. While it is absolutely edible after 3 hours, you’re gonna want to wait another 3-4 hours before dishing up a second bowl. It takes a little extra time to help the sweet potatoes cook down and get soft, making this a creamy and delicious dish!
Sweet Potato Bison Chili Grocery List
I will say that ground bison is definitely on the more expensive end of the meat section. That said, I’d encourage you to try this out with a ground beef if you’re looking to save a few dollars on this one!
- ground bison (or 1 pound of desired meat)
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- sweet potatoes
- canned diced tomato
- broth of choice
- canned tomato sauce
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- chipotle powder
Get to the store, then print the recipe below to practice your chili makin’ skills.
Crockpot Sweet Potato Bison Chili
- 1 pound ground bison (or meat of choice)
- 1 yellow onion (3 cups chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes (6 cups chopped)
- 3 16 oz. cans diced tomato
- 1 cup broth of choice (I used chicken)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- tortilla chips
- chopped onion
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add bison to skillet and cook until completely browned. Use spatula to chop into small pieces.
- Peel and dice the yellow onion and sweet potato per quantities listed above.
- Add all ingredients, plus cooked bison, to the crockpot. Stir to completely coat all vegetables and meat.
- Cook on high 6 hours.
- Stir everything up, then serve with your favorite toppings!