So, two recipes in a row for you. That’s more than I expected out of myself this week! Although, today’s crockpot shredded chicken recipe is about all I’ve been eating for the last three weeks.
This has become a staple for food prep on the weekends. This chicken lasts for two people throughout the whole week. You can’t ask for better food prep than that, am I right?
It makes lunches easy to make. You can go with a shredded chicken wrap, or mix it up with whatever vegetable you’re craving!
You have a whole crock pot full to season anyway you want.
We’ve made this two ways: with and without salsa. Salsa is a good way to go if you want to do tacos or a Mexican dish. Or, you can leave it without to season it however you like! The way it’s prepared, it doesn’t dry out either, which was my least favorite part about baking chicken breasts. You cook in all the juices and get a great flavor.
This is a fabulous food prep option for always having a lean protein on hand to create endless meals from!
Food Prep Tip: Want Fajita chicken? When you shred up the chicken in the crockpot, add 2-3 servings of this salt-free taco seasoning!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 4-5 pounds thawed boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup salsa (optional)
- lightly salt and peppered (if not using salsa)
- Place chicken breast in crock pot.
- Pour chicken broth or water on top and add desired seasoning.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or 8 hours if chicken is frozen.
- Using a tongs, grab chicken and twist it up to shred.
- Mix together to soak up remaining broth to make sure chicken doesn’t dry out when stored.
Courses Dinner, Food Prep
This totally beats the prep we used to do with the chicken thighs in the crock pot. It’s a lot easier without cleaning up the legs and picking through the bones at the end. Although it costs a little more upfront, it has seemed to last a little longer.
What is your food prep staple?