Coconut milk chickpea curry is a simple, healthy dinner you can prepare for your family in less than 20 minutes! Serve with your favorite variety of rice.
How often do you get food cravings that seem to come out of NOWEHRE?
I was craving curry like crazy a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if it was a subliminal message from the food blogosphere, Pinterest and the new Thai restaurant I drive by on occasion but the cravings were in full force. The weirdest part is that I hardly ever even eat curry.
When something is meant to be, I suppose it is best not to question it. Because this was my first time making curry—ever, in my life—and it turned out to be so easy and flavorful!
Coconut milk chickpea curry is definitely going to be a staple in my house for a while.
I actually had to call my sister when I was at the grocery store to figure out what I should get for this recipe. She told me you should look for a curry paste, and not grab powdered curry when making this at home! I chose this Thai Kitchen red curry paste to pair with coconut milk as a base.
Coconut Milk Chickpea Curry Grocery List
Make sure to grab these staples for your next grocery trip:
- red curry paste—this can be found hear asian/hispanic food section
- coconut milk—canned, full-fat
- coconut oil
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- crushed red pepper
- fresh cilantro
- your favorite variety of rice
- chicken—if you’re looking to add some animal protein, add in some shredded chicken
If you love curry but have never made it, this easy recipe is a must!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly
- 4–5 tablespoons red curry paste
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- pepper to taste
- optional, shredded chicken
- Begin cooking rice according to instructions. Set aside once complete.
- While rice is cooking, place a skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil, and melt completely.
- Saute mushrooms and onions, about 5-7 minutes until cooked.
- Add coconut milk to pan, along with remaining ingredients except rice. Stir in all seasonings completely, and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.