I can thank Katie at Hungry Runner for recipe inspiration here. Why, do you ask? She posts tons of pictures with chickpeas in skillet stir fry, salads, and even on sandwiches! I never thought about adding them to so many things. And now that I’ve tried it, they are my new favorite ingredient! I’ve even been snacking on some straight from the can. (Drained and thoroughly rinsed, to get rid of most of the sodium!)
Chicken and Chickpea Skillet
- 20 oz chicken breast, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 16 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 24 oz diced tomato, drained
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved (use as many as you want!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper for chicken seasoning
- EVOO/low sodium chicken broth
- Set a skillet to medium-high. Drizzle with a bit of EVOO, and add chicken. Lightly season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook completely, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth is more liquid is needed.
- Heat a separate skillet to medium. Drizzle with EVOO, and add red onion and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes and add cherry tomatoes and seasonings. Cook another 3-5 minutes, and add diced tomato, chicken, and chickpeas. Cook together an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Serve on top of quinoa or brown rice.