A simple vegan snack everyone will enjoy! Make these carrot and parsnip fries with dairy free cashew pesto dipping sauce for your next gathering.
When I realized I needed to start going dairy free, I pouted for a few minutes.
Not really because I was going to miss cheese or milk so much. Ice cream? YAS. But there are alternatives for that.
I’d lie if I told you I shed tears over this, but it has created quite the quandary for snacking this football season.
Enter fervid research for dairy replacements. How do vegans eat? How do they live without the creamy deliciousness of yogurt, cheese or cream in a sauce or dip?
This is when I discovered the magic of cashews.
I’ve already been adding cashews into my meals more often, like this salad with roasted cashews. I’ve also made my own cashew butter. But I had NO IDEA that soaking cashews in water was the key to dairy free sauces!
Creamy Cashew Pesto Dipping Sauce Grocery list
This recipe really couldn’t be much easier. You don’t need many ingredients, and there are only two steps.
Soak, then blend.
First, let’s start with what you need to put on your grocery list.
- Minced garlic
- Your favorite pesto—lately I have been purchasing Kirkland from Costco, but Classico is another favorite. It’s also very easy to make your own pesto if you can’t find out without cheese to make this vegan!
Back to our two steps. Soak and blend. Literally, you’ll soak the cashews, then you’ll blend them up with the remaining ingredients below. I told you it was easy!
Can we also talk about these veggie fries for a sec? I don’t know where parsnips have been my whole life, but they are currently my new favorite veggie fry. They’re kinda like carrots, but a little sweeter and I think have a slight nutty taste. It still amazes me that I have been a health food blogger for so long and there are still veggies that I haven’t tried.
Here’s to exploring new foods!
Creamy Cashew Pesto Dipping Sauce
Yield 5 1/4 cup servings
- 1 cups cashews
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup or more pesto of choice
- Soak cashews in a bowl covered in water for 2 hours.
- Drain cashews in a strainer, and rinse to remove any residue.
- Add soaked cashews, 1/2 cup of water, minced garlic and salt to food processor or blender. Puree mixture until smooth. Add additional water, up to 2/3 cup total, to get desired consistency.
- Add pesto to top of sauce for dipping, or mix in completely in previous step.
Nutritional information is an estimate based on using a full 2/3 cup of water. Info will change as more or less water is used.
Serving Size 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15.6 g
Saturated Fat 2.6 g
Unsaturated Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 289.7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 7.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 5.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.