I’ve totally been all over the soup scene lately. In the form of chicken noodle and Ramen. Chicken Ramen… best flavor there is. Why is it I crave Ramen like mad when I’m under the weather? The salty processed goodness is just the right thing for my tummy, I suppose!
But today, we’re not gonna talk about sodium laden, processed soups. We’re gonna talk about a super simple, super delicious made from scratch Broccoli and White Bean Soup!
Yes, my friends, this is a crock pot creation.
Other crock pot creations seen around Slim Sanity:
So, I came up with this recipe when I was on the 7 Day Cleanse, which means NO DAIRY in the recipe. If you are not doing a cleanse, I might suggest stirring in some sharp white cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, or pepper jack when you toss in the seasonings. Just because I’m from Wisconsin, and I like cheese! (Fun fact: My sister and brother, also from Wisconsin -duh- do not like cheese. Freaks of nature.)
Ok, let’s get to it!
Broccoli & White Bean Soup
- 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 16 oz can white (navy) beans + 1 cup, rinsed well
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- cooked broccoli, chopped for garnish
- Add broccoli, 16 oz can of white beans, white onion, and 1 cup chicken broth to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 3.5 hours.
- Mash veggies together to desired consistency. Potato masher gives easiest results.
- Add seasonings, additional cup chicken broth, additional cup white beans, and almond milk (add cheese here if you’re a cheesehead).
- Cook on low additional 30-60 minutes until ready to serve.
I added steamed broccoli for garnish and a teeny bit of grated Parmesan
Can’t get much easier than crock pot recipes!
Veggie soups? Yay or nay?