This is a simple baby kale and quinoa salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette, and topped with roasted cashews and sliced apples. It has a gourmet taste, but only takes 5 minutes to prepare!
I seriously can’t believe that I’ve never tried roasted cashews on a salad —or anything— before! They are so.damn.delicious.
Easy is the new theme around here. I’ve struggled to cook lately, let alone post on this blog. Mind you, we had a kitchen remodel, lots of painting and work at the house, and I started a new job. Oh yea and Brooklyn is mobile now so that makes life more interesting!
But for a while there, I was trying to get too complicated with recipes. I had wanted to create and sell meal plans for people, to help others understand how easy it can be to eat healthy with just a little bit of effort on the for front (food prep!). But in the process, I discovered a few things.
I eat the same thing a lot, because I love the meals. It’s hard to make a meal plan when you cook like that, because IDK what other people wanna eat all the time.
I don’t actually meal plan most of the time anymore. I just buy/prep a bunch of stuff and throw it together.
I don’t like making meal plans. (
I was making my life so much harder than it needed to be. And then when I stopped doing these things—and I started a new job that I LOVE—the importance of making this blog a career disappeared. And it’s so wonderful.
In the OLD days I would have made this salad, but made my own dressing to go along with it.
BUT THIS IS REALITY.
No one has any time for making their own effing salad dressing every day. Homemade dressings don’t keep well for long, and it’s hard to make a small batch. And you can buy a perfectly good balsamic vinaigrette from the grocery. For this one, I used Kraft.
I don’t have time for fancy salad dressings. In fact, I even eat lunch at the computer these days. Probably a habit I should break, but can you blame me for wanting to be productive?
So anyway, to have this salad ready for you at lunch, you’ll need to have the following prepped:
- Roasted cashews (see recipe below)
- Baby kale
- Apple of choice (I used gala)
- Balsamic vinaigrette
I can handle any recipe that only uses 5 ingredients. You in?
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ apple
- ½ cup roasted cashews (how to in step 1)
- as much baby kale as you want
- roughly 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- To roast cashews, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place cashews on roasted pan. Drizzle olive oil and top, and swirl cashews to lightly coast. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast in the oven for about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- To make salad, add baby kale and quinoa (hot or cold, your choice) to a bowl. Toss with vinaigrette.
- Thinly slice or chop half your apple, and place on top of salad along with cashews.