After seeing the awesome frozen greek yogurt bars Lindsay made, I was inspired to try and make something similar, because they looked so darn good! I tried playing around with a couple different recipes. One I knew I’d probably play safe with, and one that I was not so sure about.
I had wanted to try an avocado ice cream for a long time. However, I won’t go into too much detail on this failed dessert recipe. I followed an example I found online pretty closely…and either I did a very poor job, or I really don’t like avocado as a dessert.
Anyhow, I tried another yogurt based recipe, that was much simpler, and turned out pretty good. Here’s an easy recipe for Frozen Yogurt Protein Cakes!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- Add dry ingredients to a magic bullet cup. Pulse until well ground.
- Add to a bowl with peanut butter, making sure to mix thoroughly.
- Press into the bottom of two 1 cup dishes. (I used 1 cup Pyrex dishes with a plastic lid, as shown on the right.)
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Add all ingredients to a magic bullet. Pulse until well mixed. (If you have a food processor, you can try using that!)
- Pour into dishes with crust. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with drizzled peanut butter.
I think it turned out really good…and it could almost be a breakfast recipe. 🙂 These are protein packed and low in sugar (1/2 cup of the yogurt I used only has 7 g of sugar in it.) I think I might follow Lindsay’s recipe and add a little bit of cool whip next time. I also think some chocolate shavings in it would be fabulous. I will make sure to have those on hand soon!
What are your go-to healthy treats when you’re craving dessert?