We had a head of cauliflower that we needed to use up last night (always great inspiration), and decided to look for a new recipe instead of making my delicious go-to roasted cauliflower. We came up with this Paleo Cauliflower Chicken Casserole, which originated from a cooking blog called Maoomba. We added and subbed some ingredients depending on what we had in the kitchen.
Updated images: 10/01/2013
Paleo Cauliflower Chicken Casserole
- one head of cauliflower
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- one red bell pepper, chopped
- one green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green onions (white and green parts), chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tablespoon Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt, as desired
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 3 Tbs cilantro
- EVOO or bacon fat for sauteing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Steam for 5-7 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, cook chicken in skillet over medium-high heat, using drizzled EVOO to cook. (You can also use previously baked chicken)
- Cook 6 strips of bacon. Set aside, and use small amount of grease from bacon to saute red pepper. Saute for 3 minutes, then add green onion and garlic. Saute additional 2 minutes.
- Into a mixing bowl, stir cauliflower, chili powder, Caribbean jerk marinade, cumin, and salt. Once stirred, add sauteed veggies, chicken, bacon, tomato, and cilantro.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish, and pour mixture into dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve. (Makes about 4 servings)
This dish is a great option for dinner, and tastes just as good leftover. It works as a meal on its own, or could be served with a side. If you want to un-paleo this dish, you could serve it over rice or quinoa!
We added a little bit of grated Parmesan to the top of our servings.